[UPDATE 9/20 12:10pm EST] Minecraft snapshot 13w38b is now live. Click here for full patch notes from the latest preview of the Minecraft 1.7 Update, plus information on what else Mojang has planned for future Minecraft snapshots.
The parade of Minecraft builds continues for another week, following Mojang's release of both Minecraft 1.6.4 and Minecraft snapshot 13w38a on Thursday, with promises of at least one additional Minecraft 1.7 Update preview build before week's end.
A pair of new Minecraft builds went live on Thursday, as Mojang released both the official build of Minecraft 1.6.4 and the latest preview of the Minecraft 1.7 Update, Minecraft snapshot 13w38a. Neither of the latest versions of Minecraft include the sort of game-changing features that typically send fans into a frenzy, but dozens of backend code rewrites included in Minecraft snapshot 13w38a should presumably increase both the performance and stability of Minecraft for players around the globe.
Sporting easily one of the shortest change logs in the game's history, Minecraft 1.6.4 addresses unidentified Minecraft Realms bugs, and also fixes an issue which prevented Minecraft world saves from retaining the randomly-generated structures found on players' world(s). Unfortunately, there's nothing else to report about the surprise replacement for the Minecraft 1.6.3 release that was set to go live on Thursday.
Fortunately, Minecraft snapshot 13w38a brings quite a bit more to the table; however, many Minecraft players will be disappointed to know that the latest preview of the Minecraft 1.7 Update is largely used to deliver rewritten portions of the game's code. Minecraft snapshot 13w38a also features new additions to the "super secret" settings menu which will also debut in the Minecraft 1.7 Update.
Additionally, Minecraft dev Nathan "Dinnerbone" Adams has already confirmed that Mojang is likely to continue its recent trend, of delivering more than one Minecraft 1.7 Update preview build each week, by releasing Minecraft snapshot 13w38b sometime on Friday. The next preview build of the Minecraft 1.7 Update will fix broken block breaking animations, unidentified game crashes and more.
Here's the full Minecraft 1.6.4 change log:
- - Fixed many bugs
- -- Fixed structures not being saved structures - Note: Existing structures will only be saved when the chunk they are in is loaded
- -- Fixed some Minecraft Realms related issues
And here's the Minecraft snapshot 13w38a change log:
- - Changed how often zombie pigmen spawn from nether portals
- - Added and improved the video settings
- -- Render Distance is now a slider ranging from 2 to 16 chunks
- -- Max Framerate is now a slider ranging from 10 to 250 fps, thenunlimited
- -- Mipmap levels can be set to Off and 1 through 4
- -- Anisotropic filtering can be be disabled or set to 2, 4, 8 or 16
- -- Post-Processing (shaders) can be toggled
- - Technically added an upside-down mode
- -- Screenshot
- -- One of the shaders
- - Improved the super secret settings
- -- The button now applies different experimental shaders - the actual effects will be used for gameplay in the future
- -- List of available shaders: antialias, deconverge outline, art, desaturate, pencil, bits, flip, phosphor, blobs, fxaa, scan_pincushion, blobs2, green, sobel, blur, invert, wobble, color convolve, ntsc
- - Improved maps hung in item frames
- -- They now display on the whole block
- -- Screenshots
- - Improved achievements
- - Added mipmapping, anisotropic filtering and FSAA (as a shader)
- -- Comparison
- - Maybe: Being able to add new sounds using resource packs
- - Fixed some bugs
- -- Fixed chunks not deleting properly and remaining in a newly created world if the same world name is used
- -- Fixed the horse armor equip sound not playing when replacing it with already equipped armor
- -- Fixed the enderman stare sound playing when the enemy mobs sound slider is at 0%
- -- Fixed villages not generating properly
Both of the latest Minecraft builds can be downloaded via the game's launcher. If you've yet to run a Minecraft snapshot in the new launcher, head over to the Mojang Blog for instructions on how to access Minecraft snapshot 13w38a and all future Minecraft preview builds.
Be sure to check back with iDigitalTimes.com and follow Scott on Twitter for more on the Minecraft 1.7 Update as we continue to follow all the latest developments from the folks responsible for continued development of the Java version of Minecraft.
What do you think of the changes introduced in Minecraft 1.6.4 and the latest preview of the Minecraft 1.7 Update? Disappointed that Minecraft snapshot 13w38a didn't include some new blocks or mobs? Still exploring all of the content from previous Minecraft 1.7 snapshots?
Let us know in the comments section!