After taking some much needed time off, following last month's release of the Minecraft 1.5 Redstone Update and 1.5.1 follow-up patch, Mojang is back with its second weekly Minecraft 1.6 preview snapshot, just under a week after Minecraft 13w16a went live.
Now that there's a new Minecraft launcher, it would seem Mojang has grown tired of being forced to update the company blog with a new post each time the Minecraft devs release the game's next preview snapshot. Instead, Nathan "Dinnerbone" Adams resorted to Twitter, and a short edit on the previous snapshot announcement, to let the general public know that the next Minecraft 1.6 preview snapshot is now available for download.
Snapshot 13w16b was released in the launcher. Some big crash fixes, and re-enabled crash reporting too. Also, something for @paulsoaresjr!
— Nathan Adams (@Dinnerbone) April 23, 2013
While some (including Paul Soares Jr.) wondered what exactly Dinnerbone meant, the inhabitants of Reddit's /r/minecraft sprang into action, quickly confirming that mobs could finally be assigned unique names. Even better, renamed mobs won't despawn, though the aforementioned changes seem to be the biggest in Minecraft snapshot 13w16b, with much of the recent Minecraft 1.6 preview comprised of fixes for several bugs/crashes introduced last week.
Unfortunately, there's still no word on the exact Minecraft 1.6 release date, though Mojang has yet to back away from the previously suggested May 2013 launch window. Of course, delays wouldn't exactly be a shock, particularly after it took two extra months of work to get the Minecraft 1.5 Redstone Update ready for public consumption.
Here's the full change log for Minecraft snapshot 13w16b:
- - Re-enabled crash reporting
- - Added name tags
- -- Rename them in an anvil and put them on mobs to have their name show up when looking at them -via
- - Fixed some bugs
- -- Fixed anvils charging level for nothing when using languages other than English
- -- Fixed endermen becoming hostile when they take environmental damage
- -- Fixed unintended debug output to console if .minecraft does not exist
- -- Fixed leashes and hay bales not having a name - Leashes are now called leads - via
- -- Fixed players not activating stone pressure plates anymore
- -- Fixed color of the experience bar while having spawn eggs, enchantment bottles, enchanted books and nether stars in the inventory
- -- Fixed getting a normal saddle back when killing a horse When killing a saddled horse
- -- Fixed a NullPointerException in MP when right clicking horses
- -- Fixed boats not working
- -- Fixed mobs getting stuck on carpet
- -- Fixed taskbar icon showing LWJGL default icon while loading Minecraft
- -- Fixed the new launcher failing to launch on certain linux setups
- -- Fixed the cursor no longer snapping back to centre of window after exiting inventories/menus
- -- Fixed the new launcher not starting on OS X
- -- Fixed carpets obstructing bed spawns and being stuck in ceiling after leaving bed
- -- Fixed there being no lwjgl in java.library.path
- -- Fixed the new snapshot not running under Linux
To download the Minecraft snapshot 13w16b, simply launch the development Minecraft launcher released by Mojang last week, or head over to the Mojang blog if you still need to download the new file.
What would you like to see included in the Minecraft 1.6 Update? Think Mojang needs to tweak the Horses that were introduced in the last snapshot? Having more problems with Snapshot 13w16b than you did with 13w16a?
Let us know in the comments section!