Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Android 4.4.2 Kitkat Update: How To Download And Install New OS As It Rolls Out OTA [REPORT]
The Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update For The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Brings Serious Improvements In Performance
The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Android 4.4.2 KitKat update started rolling out to US owners of the device several days ago. It is now being seeded to the owners of the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 international variant with the Exynos processor rather than Snapdragon 800. You can follow which Android 4.4 KitKat updates are rolling out on the Samsung Updates Live page (HERE). According to SamMobile the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Android 4.4.2 KitKat update will roll out. The upgrade comes after an earlier leaked firmware test build of Android 4.4.2 KitKat which showed few major changes to the phablet aside from various bug fixes and improvements compared to Android 4.4 KitKat.
The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Android 4.4.2 KitKat update firmware test build which can be found (HERE) showed that there were some minor UI changes that came with the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Android 4.4.2 KitKat update. The status bar icons were changed from green to white and users who installed the firmware update reported significant improvements in performance with fast unlocking and benchmarks scores. It seems the promised Android 4.4.2 KitKat optimizations to performance have managed to make the normally sluggish TouchWiz UI tolerable. In addition Samsung has rolled out some custom changes with the Android 4.4.2 KitKat update with a camera shortcut on the lockscreen and music album art going full screen on the lock screen when playing music, features already found on devices like the Nexus 5.
The Samsung Android 4.4.2 KitKat update also has improved the Samsung keyboard layout optimizing it for usage in landscape mode. Gesture typing has been made easier and faster. The Samsung Android 4.4.2 KitKat update also brings various features that have characterized Android 4.4 KitKat, including wireless printing, new emoji support, the switch to Hangouts for SMS/MMS from the stock messaging app and the ability to change default launchers. For the international users of the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 the Android 4.4.2 KitKat update is being rolled out in phases though according to SamMobile it should arrive soon, though of course that depends on the carrier. SamMobile has a live feed list of countries showing the status of the Android 4.4.2 KitKat update (HERE).
The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Android 4.4.2 KitKat should rollout OTA. To make sure you get the Android 4.4.2 KitKat update connect the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 to the computer and use Samsung Kies (HERE) or Samsung OTA. To download the update OTA go to SettingsàMoreàAbout DeviceàSoftware updateàUpdate. That should allow the Android 4.4.2 KitKat update to be installed to your Samsung Galaxy Note 3. If for some reason that doesn't work or you have a custom ROM and can't update through Samsung Kies or Samsung OTA then follow the below instructions from SamMobile on how to install the required firmware build for Android 4.4.2 KitKat. AndroidGeeks also has more detailed step by step instructions (HERE).
Country: Open Europe
Version: Android 4.4.2
Build date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 23:09:09 +0000
Product Code: OXX
- This test firmware WILL wipe your data. So, back it up!
- You are doing this at your OWN risk. We are not responsible if you brick your device or your cat eats your phone.
- This test firmware will NOT increase your binary counter NOR void your warranty.
- This test firmware is a pre-release build and not official from Samsung.
- Extract (unzip) the firmware file
- Download Odin3 v3.09 (From here or here)
- Extract Odin .ZIP file
- Open Odin3 v3.09
- Restart phone in download mode (Press and hold Home + Power + Volume down buttons)
- Connect phone and wait until you get a blue sign in Odin
- Add AP_N9005XXUENA6_340325_REV03_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5 to AP
- Add BL_N9005XXUENA6_340325_REV03_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5 to BL
- Add CP_N9005XXUENA2_REV03_CL1277177.tar.md5 to CP
- Add CSC_OXX_N9005OXXENA5_327209_REV03_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5 to CSC
- Make sure re-partition is NOT ticked
- Click start button, sit back and wait a few minutes.
- If you encounter any issues with the firmware (Any FC, Bootloop etc)
- Boot into recovery mode (Home+power+vol up)
- Choose to wipe/factory reset. (THIS WILL ERASE ALL OF YOUR DATA INCLUDING YOUR INTERNAL SD CARD!)
- Then choose reboot and you should be good to go!
Check out our other Samsung Android 4.4.2 KitKat update news here:
© 2014 iDigitalTimes All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.