How To Download And Install Android 4.4 KitKat Update For Samsung Galaxy S4 And HTC One Google Play Edition Manually [REPORT]
Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Play Edition And HTC One Google Play Edition Android 4.4 KitKat Updates Both Out
The Android 4.4 KitKat update for the Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Play Edition and HTC One Google Play Edition is rolling out now. The Android 4.4 KitKat update for the HTC One Google Play Edition rolled out yesterday. The HTC One Android 4.4 KitKat kernel source code and framework support file for the Google Play Edition can be found HERE. The Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Play Edition Android 4.4 KitKat kernel source code and source framework can be found HERE. Of course neither Android 4.4 KitKat code will work for non-Google Play Edition Samsung Galaxy S4 and HTC One phones, but owners of the two stock Android variants can either wait for the update to rollout OTA or update the device manually themselves.
The Android 4.4 KitKat update for the HTC One Google Play Edition and the Samsung Galaxy S4 update for the Google Play Edition were both announced yesterday, "Starting today, Samsung GS4 and HTC One Google Play edition devices are getting an update to Android 4.4! Learn more about Android 4.4, KitKat:http://www.android.com/versions/kit-kat-4-4 ". The Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Play Edition open source files have been released but it doesn't look like we have a direct download link yet. Android 4.4 KitKat update for the HTC One Google Play Edition is a staggering 320MB download, "Android 4.3 JWR66Y to Android 4.4 KRT16S for GPe HTC One". The Android 4.4 KitKat update for the HTC One Google Play Edition and the Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Play Edition were preceded by the Moto X Android 4.4 KitKat rollout for Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile. The Moto X ended up beating the Nexus 4 Android 4.4 KitKat update which is just rolling out now and completely trounced the Android 4.4 KitKat update for the Nexus 7 mobile data version.
Our software team has been hard at work bringing the latest version of Android to our Moto X users more quickly than ever. When it came to KitKat, we couldn't wait to deliver. Our software strategy is to build on a pure Android foundation and complement existing Google services, not compete with them. We think this latest release is just that-all the features you love about your Moto X with the latest Android OS.
The Android 4.4 KitKat update method for manually updating the HTC One Google Play Edition and the Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Play Edition. The instruction for manually updating the devices can be found on Android Central. In this case the OTA packages can be downloaded HERE for the HTC One Google Play Edition and HERE for the Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Play Edition. [Note modifications made to original Android Central instructions.]
Check past the break to see the full manual update process.
1. Place the update .zip package from Google in the Android SDK/platform-tools folder on your computer, but do not unzip it.
2. On your HTC One GPE or Samsung Galaxy S4 GPE, go to Settings > Development options and switch the toggle on. Then enable USB debugging under the "Debugging" menu group.
3. Power down your tablet
4. Start up the bootloader by holding down volume up, volume down and power on your tablet.
5. When the menu loads, plug your Nexus into your computer.
6. Use the volume up/down keys to navigate to "Recovery mode", then press the power button.
7. When the Android with the red exclamation point appears, hold down power first, followed quickly by volume up. You should now see the recovery menu.
8. Use the volume up/down keys to select "apply update from ADB," then press power to select it.
9. On your computer, open up a command prompt or terminal window.
10. Using the command line, navigate to the Android SDK/platform-tools folder
11. On Windows, type:
... or on Mac, type:
... or on Linux, type:
12. The update should begin installing. When it's done, select "reboot system now."
13. Enjoy some delicious KitKat
Check out our other Android 4.4 KitKat news here:
© 2014 iDigitalTimes All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.