Minecraft Xbox 360 Update 12 is finally available for download on Xbox Live, bringing with it some major changes for 4J Studios XBLA adaptation of Minecraft. Find out what's changed in Minecraft Xbox 360 Update 12, and why fans are still waiting on one of the most highly anticipated features from the latest Minecraft Xbox 360 patch. (PHOTO: 4J Studios)
[UPDATE 8/30 1:40pm EST] 4J Studios has announced that the trailer for the first official Minecraft Xbox 360 Mash-Up Pack will be released on Sunday, with production for the upcoming video being credited to the minds at Hat Films. Click here for more on the story.
Just when fans were starting to wonder if Minecraft Xbox 360 Update 12 might be pushed back to September, Microsoft and 4J Studios shocked more than eight million players around the globe with the sudden release of the latest Minecraft Xbox 360 title update on Friday.
Few likely expected Minecraft Xbox 360 Update 12 to hit Xbox Live last Friday, considering there'd been no official word from 4J Studios since the dev team confirmed that Minecraft Xbox 360 Update 12 had been submitted to the Xbox Live certification board roughly two weeks ago. Of course, we can't imagine many fans being upset that Microsoft and 4J Studios decided to release Minecraft Xbox 360 Update 12 as soon as possible, regardless of how much/little forewarning they had about the patch's arrival.
The latest major game update for Minecraft Xbox 360 introduces a wide variety of features that bring the XBLA port of Mojang's hit sandbox title slightly closer to feature-parity with the Java version of Minecraft played by more than 11 million people and counting. Most notably, Minecraft Xbox 360 Update 12 finally introduces the Jungle biomes to Minecraft Xbox 360, along with many of the corresponding plants and wildlife, and also doubles the world height limit.
Unfortunately, 4J Studios is still awaiting some sort of "legal sign-off" before they can release the first Minecraft Xbox 360 Mash-Up Pack, which was supposed to be revealed prior to Minecraft Xbox 360 Update 12's debut. There's no telling how many Mash-Up and Texture packs the studio currently has on deck, though we suspect a wide variety of each will soon be available for purchase on Xbox Live.
For more on Minecraft Xbox 360 Update 12, check out the full change log:
- - Ocelot/Cat
- - Iron Golem
- - Baby Villager
- - Redstone Lamp
- - Jungle Wood Stairs
- - Jungle Wood Half Slab
- - Jungle Wood Block
- - Jungle Wood Planks
- - Jungle Tree Sapling
- - Ocelot Spawn Egg
- - (Creative Mode only) Chiseled Stone Brick
- - (Creative Mode only) Mob Heads (Skeleton, Wither Skeleton, Zombie, Human and Creeper)
- - New Tutorial World.
- - New map height limit (256 instead of 128).
- - Jungle Biome
- - Jungle trees
- - Cocoa beans grow on Jungle trees
- - Slabs and Stairs can be placed upside-down by placing them below a block.
- - Added Corner Stairs and upside down Corner Stairs.
- - Added 3D dropped items.
- - Added dispensing Boats and Minecarts to Dispenser.
- - New ambient cave sounds.
- - New AI for Mobs.
- - Added rare drops for Mobs.
- - Villagers will have children if there is room in their village.
- - Zombie sieges will occur occasionally at night.
- - Zombies break down doors on Hard Mode.
- - Crafting recipe for ladder now yields 3 ladders instead of 2.
- - Placing blocks on grass will replace it.
- - Lava now has a faint rumbling sound effect, and large particles that hop out of the lava produce a popping sound.
- - Very rare Desert Wells can be found in Desert biomes.
- - Increased max boats in a world to 40.
- - When in the Nether, Snow Golems will melt and die same as when they are in Desert biomes.
- - Abandoned Mineshafts can generate with wooden bridges now when generated over a cave or over top another tunnel.
- - Doors have been updated so that double doors work better with Redstone.
- - Added a Favorites tab to the Skin Selector menu, storing most recently used skins.
- - Added support for Texture Packs and Mash-up Packs, and display of these in the Minecraft Store.
- - Fixed local player shadows not being displayed.
- - Fixed a few issues with the Privileges settings.
- - Fixed visible seams in clouds.
- - Fixed 3rd person camera issues with water, where the underwater filter would be randomly removed.
- - Fix for structures generating at the edge of a world.
- - Fix for putting enchanted items in a Minecart With Chest and destroying it removes the enchantments.
- - Fix for breaking a bow having improper animation.
- - Fix to make Minecarts run at the correct speed.
- - Fixed a few memory leaks.
- - Fixed issue with "Can Open Containers" option.
- - Fixed issues with "Can Build and Mine" option.
- - Fixed Issue with TNT blocks being triggered by explosions even with "TNT explodes" option off.
- - Fixed Wolves not tilting their heads when the player has a bone in their hand.
- - Fixed the color of Potion particles status effect to match the Potion color.
- - Fix for doors spitting in half and glitching in open/closed motion when mined.
- - Fixed artifacts on edge of flames when in first person.
- - Fixed a lot of game lighting issues
Be sure to check back with iDigitalTimes.com and follow Scott on Twitter for more on Minecraft Xbox 360 in the weeks and months to come, along with updates on the PlayStation 3, PS4 and PS Vita builds of Minecraft which will also be developed by 4J Studios.
What do you think of all the changes introduced in Minecraft Xbox 360 Update 12? Have an idea for a new project(s) that will make use of the new mobs and blocks introduced in the latest Minecraft Xbox 360 patch? Already find yourself wondering what 4J Studios will include in Minecraft Xbox 360 Update 13?
Let us know in the comments section!
More Minecraft Xbox 360 News:
Minecraft Xbox 360 Update 12 Release Date Expected Soon Following 4J Studios' Latest Announcement
Minecraft Xbox 360 Update 12 Will Add Mash-Up Packs, Improved Content Searching And More
Minecraft Xbox 360 Update 12 Release Date Still Unknown, New Screenshot Released As Bug Fixing Continues At 4J Studios
For tips, complaints and observations on all things digital, email us at tips [at] idigitaltimes.com