Samsung Galaxy S3 Explosion: 18-Year-Old Woman Suffers Third Degree Burns From Horrific Phone Accident [PHOTOS]
Fanny Schlatter's Boss Was Forced To Rip Her Pants Off To Spare Her From Further Injury Caused By Samsung Galaxy S3 Explosion
A Samsung Galaxy S3 explosion has resulted in serious injuries. Fanny Schlatter, a Swiss girl in Switzerland suffered a terrible accident while she was at work when her Samsung Galaxy S3 exploded in her pocket. Her boss was forced to tear her pants off in order to save her from injury because he didn't have a fire extinguisher on hand. Regardless, she still received a serious third degree burn on her leg.
View the disturbing picture of the Samsung Galaxy S3 explosion. (HERE) [Warning: Photo is graphic and may be disturbing to some users]. The Samsung Galaxy S3 itself is basically completely destroyed and is scarcely recognizable except as a twisted hunk of metal and plastic (HERE).
"Once we have been able to contact this person, we will launch a thorough investigation to shed all possible light on the accident and, in this context, what is left of the phone will probably be sent to Korea," says Mirjam Berger, Swiss spokesperson for the Korean brand. She also said that Samsung is "sorry that Ms. Schlatter was injured because of her cellphone" and that the company systematically submits its products to "rigorous quality controls."
Samsung is probably right to be careful to conduct an investigation, another time a Samsung Galaxy S3 explosion was reported it turned out to be a fraud. Most infamously a user reported an incident where his phone exploded and was burned right through from inside out. Samsung investigated the incident and the user confessed that he or a friend had microwaved the phone, he confessed in a forum post:
"I would like to retract my original statement. The damage to the phone was caused by another person, although they were attempting to recover the phone from water this later caused the damage shown on the phone. It occurred due to a large amount of external energy and there was no fault with the phone. This was not a deliberate act but a stupid mistake.
I am unable to comment any further."
Here's a video of another Samsung Galaxy S3 that burned and melted unexpectedly while in a car holder:
A Reddit user posted pictures of his Samsung Galaxy S3 that exploded in a somewhat similar fashion while he was sleeping. Samsung investigated the incident and reported that it was a third party battery that was responsible though the user denies that he purchased another battery over the stock Samsung battery.
See the battery in question (HERE).
"Just figured I'd post an update as to what is going on. I've been in contact with a Samsung representative since the event happened. As requested, I mailed in the exploded phone/battery so they can investigate the situation. In the meantime, they sent me a 'loaner' SGS3 until the situation is resolved."
Samsung appears reluctant to offer the user an upgrade to the Samsung Galaxy S4, possibly out of fear of setting a precedent where other Samsung Galaxy S3 users purposely damage or destroy their phones in the hope of getting upgrades.
Some Samsung Galaxy fans have pointed out that that, with 20 million devices sold, such accidents with Samsung Galaxy S3 explosions are rare and usually result from user action or negligence. Nevertheless, these incidents do damage the Samsung brand and may make users leery of purchasing other Samsung devices.
Are you worried about a Samsung Galaxy S3 explosion?
© 2014 iDigitalTimes All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.