- Another free patch for Elder Scrolls V was released via Xbox 360 and PSN on Thursday, and the Skyrim 1.9 update brings some major changes to the award-winning RPG. Find out what' changes Bethesda is introducing with the Skyrim 1.9 update, along with a full list of bug fixes being delivered with the latest patch. (Photo: Bethesda)
Less than a month after the latest Skyrim DLC was released for PC, the Skyrim 1.9 update is now available for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 owners around the world; one of the few times during the modern era when Microsoft's console wasn't first to receive temporarily exclusive post-launch game content.
Roughly three weeks after the patch debuted on Steam last month, the Skyrim 1.9 update has come to Xbox Live and PSN, bringing a new Legendary difficulty mode and dozens of bug fixes to PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 owners around the globe. Bethesda confirmed the news with a tweet on the studio's official Twitter page, and an update on the Bethesda Blog.
The Skyrim 1.9 Update also introduces the game's new Legendary Skill system, which more-or-less removes the game's existing level cap. Players who download Skyrim 1.9 will be able to reset any skill which they level to 100, dropping it back to 15, and returning all your associated Perks in the process. As you continue to reset and retrain each skill, players will find their Skyrim characters are now capable of reaching astronomically high levels.
Console players seem to be much more receptive of the free Skyrim DLC thus far, unlike the dozens of PC gamers who would have rather seen some sort of official announcement about the next round of campaign-focused Skyrim DLC. Many of the changes introduced in Skyrim 1.9 were already possible via the extensive collection of Skyrim mods that exists online, with a few even available in the game's Steam Workshop; however, modding simply isn't an option for the millions of console owners around the globe.
Here's the full Skyrim 1.9 change log:
- - Legendary difficulty setting
- - Legendary Skills - Skills of 100 can be made Legendary. This will reset the skill to 15, return its Perks and allow the skill to affect leveling again. This effectively removes the overall level cap.
- - General memory and stability improvements
- - Fixed issue with quest scripts that were not shutting down properly
- - Companions will equip better weapons and armor if given to them
- - Fixed rare issue where player is unable to learn the Clear Skies shout during "The Throat of the World"
- - Fixed rare instance where Alduin would become invincible during "Alduin's Bane"
- - Fixed a rare issue where player could become stuck in Night Mother's coffin during "Death Incarnate"
- - Fixed rare issue where protected companions could be killed from poison damage
- - Fixed rare issue with certain ash piles left from resurrected NPCs not clearing properly
- - Fixed rare issue with NPCs and creatures respawning improperly after player fast travels
- - Fixed rare crash when entering Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary
- - Fixed rare crash when entering a player owned home
- - Random dragon attacks will no longer occur during "Battle for Whiterun"
- - Fixed a rare crash when attempting to save your game during "Waking Nightmare"
- - Fixed issue where "Glory of the Undead" would not start properly if player is in combat with Eorlund Gray-Mane
- - The white phial is no longer consumed if given to a follower
- - If player marries Aela, the "Totem of Hircine" quest will be available
- - Unused briar hearts can be dropped after finishing "The White Phial"
- - Fixed issue with paying off a crime against the Companions that prevented player from getting Companions quests properly
- - Thieves Guild caches are now properly enabled in the appropriate cities
- - The Dragon Infusion perk now works properly when taking Esbern's Potion
- - Cragslane Cave properly resets if player receives a radiant quest to clear it out
- - Fixed rare issue with bounty quest objectives not properly clearing after completion
- - Gallus' Encoded Journal is no longer a quest item after completing the Thieves Guild
- - In "No Stone Unturned" Vex will now accept Unusual Gems if you've collected them all before starting the quest
- - Vekel the Man now gives rewards for completing "Toying with The Dead"
- - Fixed rare issue with being unable to turn in stolen items in "The Litany of Larceny"
- - Fixed issue with followers becoming over-encumbered after being repeatedly rehired
- - Fixed rare issue with visiting Kynesgrove on horseback not progressing "A Blade in the Dark" properly
- - Fixed issue with receiving a duplicate radiant quest from a Jarl
- - Fixed conflict with clearing Driftshade Sanctuary before starting "Trouble in Skyrim"
- - Fixed issue with using shouts while in jail and having guards unlock the jail cell
- - Fixed rare issue with quest NPCs not properly moving to quest locations
- - Fixed issue with NPCs not selling master level spells
- - Fixed rare issue where player gets control locked outside the Thalmor Embassy at the start of "Diplomatic Immunity"
- - Fixed rare issue with disappearing containers after upgrades in player owned house
- - Fixed issue with being erroneously attacked while as a werewolf during "Ill Met By Moonlight"
- - The Ebony Blade is now only improved by two handed perks
- - Locked door to Proudspire Manor can now be unlocked by proper key
- - Fixed issue with merchants not receiving the proper additional gold with the Investor perk
- - Fixed a rare issue where the player would be unable to learn a word after leaving for several days during "The Way of The Voice"
- - The Nord Hero Bow can now be improved
- - The Purity perk no longer requires the Experimenter perk
- - Fixed rare instance where Lovers Comfort would not be applied properly
- - If you approach Frostmere Crypt from the north, "The Pale Lady" will start properly
- - Fixed rare issue where player could be prevented from speaking with Atub to start "The Cursed Tribe"
- - Fixed rare issue where a dragon could appear in the Mind of a Madman realm and kill the player
- - Fixed instance where player could get stuck in Japhet's Folly
- - Fixed rare instances where Arngeir would not teach Whirlwind Sprint
- - Fixed issue with "Ill Met By Moonlight" if Sinding dies before the quest starts
- - Gharol can now properly train up to level 75
- - Fixed conflict with visiting The Karthspire before starting "Alduin's Wall"
- - Reduced the instance of random dragon attacks after fast traveling post main quest
- - Recruited Blades now have appropriate dialogue while at Sky Haven Temple
- - Fixed rare issue where an incorrect dungeon could appear as a location during "Totems of Hircine"
- - Fixed rare instance in "Fetch me that Book" where books found before getting the quest would not be properly recognized
- - Fixed rare issue with traveling to Thalmor Embassy with companions during "Diplomatic Immunity"
- - Fixed issues with Matching Set perk not working properly with certain pieces of armor
- - Fixed issues with Custom Fit perk not working properly with certain pieces of armor
- - Fixed issue with NPC dying in a bear trap blocking progress in "Time of My Need"
- - Fixed rare issue with swinging door becoming stuck and blocking an entrance in Volunruud
- - Imperial Light Armor can now be crafted
- - Fixed issue with "Vald's Debt" where Vald was not leveled properly
- - Fixed issue with Vilkas not giving proper greeting after completing "Battle for Whiterun"
- - Fixed issue with respawning actors that were raised by using the Ritual Stone power
- - Fixed issue with the Ancient Knowledge perk not calculating properly
- - The Palace of Kings now has patrolling guards on upper floors
- - Reduce percentage chance of getting a werewolf loading screen while player is a werewolf
- - Pantea's flute is no longer a quest item after completing "Pantea's Flute"
- - Placing an unread Oghma Infinium on a bookshelf in the player's house no longer allows the book to be reused again
- - Adjusted dialogue priority to improve chances of hearing more combat dialogue from certain NPC enemies
- - Fixed issue with falling damage on high difficulty levels
- - Fixed bad collision on certain clutter objects
- - Fixed rare instance of couriers who would appear only dressed in a hat
Are you still playing The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim on your PS3 or Xbox 360? Were you hoping for something more from the Skyrim 1.9 update?
Leave your thoughts in the comments section!
Next Skyrim DLC: Redguard Release Date Nears, Bloggers Demand Scarier Monsters, Guild Expansion, Race Equality [REPORT]
'Skyrim' 1.9 Update: Legendary Difficulty Introduced, Legendary Skills Put Level Cap Out To Pasture In 'Elder Scrolls V'
'Skyrim' Redguard DLC Release Date 2013; June 9 Release Date Leaked On Steam, Is Xbox Version Coming Sooner? [UPDATE]
For tips, complaints and observations on all things digital, email us at tips [at] idigitaltimes.com