News

YouTube Bans Anti-Islam Movie ‘Innocence of Muslims’ In Libya, Egypt Following Attacks Against U.S. Diplomats

By iDigital Times Staff Reporter on September 13, 2012 12:11 PM EDT 0

crappy movie
YouTube has temporarily banned 'Innocence of Muslims" in Libya and Egypt following attacks made against U.S. diplomats. (Photo: Youtube.com)

YouTube has blocked the anti-Islam video that sparked riots in Egypt and Libya on Wednesday. The movie "Innocence of Muslims" was plastered around the Internet following the riots because of its laughably bad acting and editing.

Follow Us

"Innocence of Muslims" can be seen on YouTube around the world in a 14-minute movie trailer that shows Muhammad as both a womanizer and a murderer. The movie goes on to ridicule the prophet Muhammad and describes the entire religion of Islam as a "cancer." The film appears to be an embarrassing attempt at propaganda made to incite violence and stir emotions.

If stirring emotion was the goal of the creators of "Innocence of Muslims," they succeeded. The films has been used an excuse for attacks made against U.S. diplomats. One of the attacks happened at the United States Embassy in Cairo, Egypt. Other attacks occurred in Benghazi, Libya. The attacks in Libya, whch occurred at the United States consulate, resulted in four deaths including Ambassador Christopher Stevens.

The movie has been tied to Middle Eastern Christians who live in the U.S. and hold anti-Islamic views according to the Los Angeles Times. The movie was also previously titled "Desert Warriors" and "Innocence of Bin Laden." Mystery shrouds the origin of the video because of several unconfirmed claims made by various individuals.

The New York Times reports that Islamic militants armed with antiaircraft missiles and RPGs stormed the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya. "American and European officials said that while many details about the attack remained unclear, the assailants seemed organized, well trained and heavily armed, and they appeared to have at least some level of advance planning," reports the Times. 

In the wake of the incidents, YouTube has decided to block the video in Egypt an Libya. Fast Company reports that the video will be made unavailable "temporarily" in both Libya and Egypt.

"We work hard to create a community everyone can enjoy and which also enables people to express different opinions," YouTube said in a statement to the Associated Press. "This can be a challenge because what's OK in one country can be offensive elsewhere. This video - which is widely available on the web - is clearly within our guidelines and so will stay on YouTube. However, given the very difficult situation in Libya and Egypt we have temporarily restricted access in both countries. Our hearts are with the families of the people murdered in yesterday's attack in Libya."

READ ALSO: Attack On U.S. Embassy In Cairo Spawns Trending Topics On Twitter 

READ ALSO: Confirmed: U.S. Ambassador To Libya Killed With Staff In Benghazi

© 2014 iDigitalTimes All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.

Join our conversation

  • Print
  • 0
Facebook Activity