Android 4.3 Jelly Bean has leaked to more devices, now you can get it for the HTC One "Google Play Edition" and Sony Xperia Z. The guys at XDAdevelopers forum did it first for the Samsung Galaxy S4 "Google Play Edition" before the device was even available for sale. They made it available for download and easy to install for most users.
The official Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update is known to be well on its way to arrival. The HTC One "Google Play Edition" recently sought Blutetooth SIG certification for Bluetooth 4.0. We can be reasonably certain that that Android 4.3 will have Bluetooth 4.0 L.E. (low energy) which will allow it to support more devices and is easier to manage than the current version of Bluetooth.
The official release is expected sometime this month, but why wait? XDA developer, Taylor_Swift (Yes, we know, but despite the username he/she is quite good) has released a custom ROM for the Sony Xperia Z, ported from the Android 4.3 Google Play Edition ROM that was on the Samsung Galaxy S4 Snapdragon 600 quad-core variant.
IBT UK has posted the full instructions for how to download and install Android 4.3 Jelly Bean onto your Sony Xperia Z device. It's rather complicated compared to the install for the Samsung Galaxy S4 "Google Play Edition." We suggest following the instructions carefully and keeping in mind that this will likely void your warranty and break support so we take no responsibility or liability for that.
First, make sure you meet all the pre-requisites (HERE). Then you can move on to the actual installation steps: [Please note that we have modified the links/steps provided by IBT UK since most links were dead, the correct download links have been provided. We are not hosting any downloads ourselves.]
1. Download Android 4.3 Google Play Edition ROM for Sony Xperia Z to the computer (HERE)
2. Connect the Xperia Z to the computer using USB cable. Now transfer the downloaded firmware zip to the SD card of the phone. Do not extract any file. Disconnect the phone from the computer and then turn it off
3. Boot the Xperia Z into recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together. The recovery mode will appear soon
Note: In recovery mode, use the Volume buttons to navigate between options and Power button to select the desired options.
4. In recovery mode first perform a Nandroid backup of the existing ROM which can be restored later if the new ROM does not work or users wish to go back to the previous firmware. To perform a Nandroid backup, selectBackup and Restore then select Backup again on the next screen. When backup is completed return to the main recovery menu
5. Perform data wiping task to eliminate clash between the new ROM and the previous ROM. Select wipe data/factory reset then select Yes on the next screen to confirm the action. Then select wipe cache partition and after the wiping process is done select Wipe Dalvik Cache under advance option. Once the wiping process is done, go back to the recovery menu
6. Select install zip from sdcard then select choose zip from sdcard. Now locate the
Android 4.3 Google Play Edition ROM zip which was earlier copied to the SD card of the phone. Press the Power button to select it and confirm installation on the next screen
7. When the installation process is completed, return to the main recovery menu and reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now. The first boot will take some time The Xperia Z should now be updated with Android 4.3 Google Play Edition ROM. Navigate to Menu>> Settings>> About phone>> Software info to verify the new software version running on the device.
Note: To go back to the previous ROM, boot the Xperia Z into recovery mode. Then select Backup and Restore and restore the ROM by selecting it from the list.
Hopefully that doesn't prove too complicated. If you need support you can get it at the XDA developer's forum. With both the Samsung Galaxy S4 "Google Play Edition" and Sony Xperia Z Android 4.3 Jelly Bean ROM out we can expect the HTC One "Nexus Experience" to be the next candidate on the list to get the ported Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update.
As for the official Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update, we continue to expect it this month in July. The current leaks should encourage users who were worried by the delay of the long awaited OS updates. We will keep you posted as new Android 4.3 Jelly Bean ROM's are ported by XDA developers.
Will you be downloading the ported Android 4.3 Jelly Bean ROM onto your Sony Xperia Z?